toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

Are you sure? When it is flickering it definitely looks like a graphics error and it doesn't happen in 9.14 at all. Or very much in rev331. I'll try playing with the scales tomorrow though and see if I can get rid of it. Is the idea to just push the flicker outside the field of view?

The idea is to get those walls inside the drawing window. So reduce the Yscale by 0,01 until it doesn't give you the error. People have been doing this for years. I adjust the values so they fit to my screen, and we have seen that in other resolutions dropwalls can give those errors. Since the change in VP9 version it may be that the high objects (like ramps) have change a little the rendering view and the table has moved a little down or so, and that error comes up. Solution is still reduce the Yscale :)

Indeed.. For whatever reason we still have issues with -some- table elements that are going partially offscreen.. I already investigated this issue a lot and added lots of paranoia code to handle things going offscreen, but still the issue is there and currently i'm clueless what to try next.. :/

#322 Spies

Spies

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Fish Tales

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

Nice to see FXAA available to those with an ATI card, looks beautiful, but spanks performance so much it renders it unplayable - shame.

Keep up the good work though!

Pc Spec is i5 2500k and an ATI 5850 (I think!).

Edited by Spies, 05 April 2013 - 11:19 AM.

#323 teppotee

teppotee

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

• Flag: Finland

• Favorite Pinball: CV

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

First of all a big thanks for the recent updates! Great work!

One question / suggestion... how hard it would be to have the alpha ramp accuracy option stored per table?  Or maybe defined in the table script etc. (if no value specified then global setting would be used of course)

The reason I'm asking is that 90% of the tables work really well with maxed settings. There are however some tables that require me to drop the slider to half or even lower to get really good performance. Don't know if anyone else is having the same behaviour but it would be really great if the value could be stored per table instead of a global setting (when needed). Just something to keep in mind if it turns out to be easy to do... Certainly not top priority case :)

#324 chepas

chepas

t.me/horsepin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

• Favorite Pinball: BSD, Tr0n, SW:Stern

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

First of all a big thanks for the recent updates! Great work!

One question / suggestion... how hard it would be to have the alpha ramp accuracy option stored per table?  Or maybe defined in the table script etc. (if no value specified then global setting would be used of course)

The reason I'm asking is that 90% of the tables work really well with maxed settings. There are however some tables that require me to drop the slider to half or even lower to get really good performance. Don't know if anyone else is having the same behaviour but it would be really great if the value could be stored per table instead of a global setting (when needed). Just something to keep in mind if it turns out to be easy to do... Certainly not top priority case :)

You could have a profile/settings manager I've made for VP FP.  Make your profiles and can be loaded through hyperpin on table launch.

Bump maps are the new auto-tune :BDH:
VPX - RSS Updates ---- blog.flippingflips.xyz/en/ -- Visual Pinball No.1 (2021) . Est.2000

#325 teppotee

teppotee

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

• Flag: Finland

• Favorite Pinball: CV

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

Totally missed that tool... so many things to remember with VP! I will take a look at some point.

#326 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

I guess we can put this thread to rest now, for the new VP916 phase, please use this thread instead: http://www.vpforums....showtopic=23962

For VP915 bugs (the official release), please use the release threads: http://www.vpforums....showtopic=12952 and http://www.vpforums....showtopic=12951

#327 kiwi

kiwi

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 2,514 posts

• Flag: Italy

• Favorite Pinball: Star Trek 25th Anniversary

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

Idea / request.
Move the captive ball with a slingshot of the wall.

When the wall is hit the slingshot threshold must be converted to slingshot force that gives the hit on the captive ball.

Thanks in advance

Max

Edit : The link for VP916 don't work

Edited by kiwi, 06 April 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#328 chepas

chepas

t.me/horsepin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

• Favorite Pinball: BSD, Tr0n, SW:Stern

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

Totally missed that tool... so many things to remember with VP! I will take a look at some point.

I need to add the two newer VP options into it first , then I'll upload it. Will let you know.

Bump maps are the new auto-tune :BDH:
VPX - RSS Updates ---- blog.flippingflips.xyz/en/ -- Visual Pinball No.1 (2021) . Est.2000

#329 RipleYYY

RipleYYY

Belgian do it better !

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

• Flag: Belgium

• Favorite Pinball: Bally Lost World

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

than, we consider rev 533 is THE one we'll use

tanx for the hard work, was nice to be part of some help/test as lot of others

cheers all :)

Aliens 2, Area 51, Asterix, Bally Tribute, ET, Evel Knievel, Frontier, Galaxian, Inspector Gadget, Lilo & Stitch, Looney Tunes, Lost World, Mata Hari, Night Mission, Power Play, Rayman, Rolling Stones 2, Stalker, Santa Odyssey, Tempest, Timon & Pumbaa, Williams Tribute, World Cup 2002, Zombie

Tanx to (alphabetical order) : BLACK, CUTTER, DESTRUK, EALA, JP, JOE ENTROPY, KINSEY, KRISTIAN, LOSERMAN, LUVTHATAPEX, RANDY, SCAPINO, SHIVA, STRANGELEO (hope i did not forget someone... )

#330 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

Hmmm.. Created a new topic for the VP9.1.6 cycle: http://www.vpforums....showtopic=23974

As said, for VP9.1.5 bugs (the official release), please use the release threads: http://www.vpforums....showtopic=12952 and http://www.vpforums....showtopic=12951

#331 kiwi

kiwi

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 2,514 posts

• Flag: Italy

• Favorite Pinball: Star Trek 25th Anniversary

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:21 AM

Hmmm.. Created a new topic for the VP9.1.6 cycle: http://www.vpforums....showtopic=23974

As said, for VP9.1.5 bugs (the official release), please use the release threads: http://www.vpforums....showtopic=12952 and http://www.vpforums....showtopic=12951

The new link works :tup:

Thanks

Max

#332 vihar

vihar

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

• Flag: Hungary

• Favorite Pinball: none so far, I'm a beginner :)

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm having two issues with VP9.15

One is the extreme lag when many lights are flashing, makes the tables unplayable. Affected tables so far: Tales of The Arabian Nights and Terminator 2

The other is that the DMD became strangely stretched:

http://postimg.org/image/ael9xrkjn/

How can I fix these?

My PC:

AMD FX6300

Nvidia GTS 460 1GB

16GB RAM

VP915 installed and updated according to the tutorial

Thank you!

Edited by vihar, 15 August 2013 - 08:21 PM.

#333 htamas

htamas

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 2,155 posts

• Favorite Pinball: cannot pick just one, and they change anyway

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:51 PM

GTS 460? Isn't that a typo? I thought there was a GTX 460 or a GTS 450 but I may be wrong...

I'd give a shot to the latest VP 9.16 build since 9.16 has definite performance improvements over 9.15. https://www.dropbox....VPinball Builds

Many flashing lights causing stutter and lag is not a surprise, your hardware may not be sufficient to handle some of the tables. Although if the video card happens to be a GTX 460, that shouldn't be the case.

You can change the DMD size by right-clicking on it, displaying the DMD borders and dragging them to a size you need.

Edited by htamas, 15 August 2013 - 09:04 PM.

#334 vihar

vihar

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:46 AM

Szia Tamás :)

Köszönöm a választ :)

Yes, 460 was a typo, it"s really a 450. I was stunned that VP needs a so strong PC, as my config can run Crysis 3 in quite a good quality/speed :) It should be sufficient for this as well, am I right?

As for the DMD, there is also am option "restore window size" which does the job perfectly, thank you!

Edit: just did a short test with the latest build on the link which has dx9 in its name. It has a HUGE performance improvement... With this build the table is as smooth as it can be... FPS is between 150-200, but if I turn on Vsync it does not seem to drop from 60. Thanks for the idea!

One more question: does all builds on that link have support for dx9 or only the ones which have dx9 in their names?

Edited by vihar, 16 August 2013 - 03:59 AM.

#335 fuzzel

fuzzel

spaghetti code

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

• Favorite Pinball: yes I have

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:35 AM

VP uses dx7. we are working on it to port it to dx9 some day. I dont know what version you use there but dx9 is not supported atm.
the latest build is VP 9.16 rev 628,.

#336 htamas

htamas

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:26 AM

Szia Tamás :)

Köszönöm a választ :)

Nagyon szívesen; örülök, hogy segíthettem :)

Yes, 460 was a typo, it"s really a 450. I was stunned that VP needs a so strong PC, as my config can run Crysis 3 in quite a good quality/speed :) It should be sufficient for this as well, am I right?

You'd think, yes... but don't forget that VP is based on a pretty old code which is not too efficient. At least it's not comparable to modern games like Crysis, plus todays video drivers aren't optimized for DX7. So we'll have to wait until the code wizards port the app to DX9 to see more features, better compatibility and hopefully better performance :)

...if I turn on Vsync it does not seem to drop from 60

Unless there is a specific need to use Vsync, I'd leave that alone... for me at least it introduces some unwanted side-effects like ball hiccups which don't happen when Vsync is disabled. This is a bummer for me because Vsync actually fixes another issue on my setup (whine in my speakers due to too high FPS values, but that's probably caused by the speakers being ancient), so I cannot use it. :(

One more question: does all builds on that link have support for dx9 or only the ones which have dx9 in their names?

Hm... I don't see DX9 in any of the filenames, but as fuzzel wrote, DX9 is not supported in any version yet. All use DX7.

#337 vihar

vihar

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:45 AM

Hm... I don't see DX9 in any of the filenames, but as fuzzel wrote, DX9 is not supported in any version yet. All use DX7.

& fuzzel:

http://postimg.org/image/u1osdx6qz/

These say dx9 in their filenames, I do not know if they employ dx9 code though. Anyway, they fix my issues. :)

What Tamás says about sound issues I think I have the same: on Bride of Pinbot I can hear the spinner popping when I shoot it. I do not know if this is because of the high FPS or the sound quality.

How can I force vsync from VP

#338 fuzzel

fuzzel

spaghetti code

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

• Favorite Pinball: yes I have

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:22 AM

Ah ok those exe files are from a branch where I tried some stuff to make the conversion easier but even that version uses dx7 ;)
Those revisions are quite old and the latest 628 is far better than those with a dx9 in the name.

Edited by fuzzel, 16 August 2013 - 06:24 AM.

#339 htamas

htamas

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

What Tamás says about sound issues I think I have the same: on Bride of Pinbot I can hear the spinner popping when I shoot it. I do not know if this is because of the high FPS or the sound quality.

Nah, my problem is different I think. I'm using a really old speaker set in my cabinet that's about 18 years old or so, and apparently they are not shielded well enough because when I have a table running with high FPS values (over 500 or so), I get this annoying whining sound in my right speaker. If I set vsync to 60 Hz (so I have constant 60 Hz FPS on all tables), the noise disappears but then I get an occasional ball hiccup which is more annoying than the sound so I decided vsync is not for me. Others also said they see the ball hiccups with vsync enabled.
So this is a unique problem due to my crappy speakers. I know I need to replace them, I'm just dragging my feet 'cause I'm lazy to tear apart the otherwise well-working cabinet. Plus this is only a problem in about 20% of the tables, so I live with it for the time being :D

How can I force vsync from VP?

In the latest builds, there is a VP video option to force vsync and even set the desired maximum FPS. My experience is that if you set that value to automatic or a higher fix value than 60, then the FPS will still fluctuate between 0 and the set value, instead of being steady.